[TowerTalk] Msg below

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Msg below
From: (David J. Windisch)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 06:47:41 -0400
Hi, all concerned:

I received what's below privately.

73, Dave, K3BHJ

To: <>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:37:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lance Nguyen <>
Subject: tower erection

Greetings David,

I know nothing about tower erection stuff.  I saw your
e-mail address on Tower Talk.

I was wondering if I could pick your brain a little
bit, and if you can head me in the right direction at
least.  Here it is:

A telecom company bought a pre-fabricated tower from
Central Towers (??).  Central provided all the parts
and even delivered the kit to the site.  Labor was not

While assembling/erecting the tower, a guy wire (??)
came loose from its 5/16 plate clamp, collapsing the
tower and killing the person on the tower.  Come to
find out that the required clamp should have been 4/16
instead of 5/16 and that the 5/16 clamp was designed
for telephone poles and the like so that when a car
hit the clamp would give way and release the cable.

One engineer has tested the 5/16 clamp in question and
that result showed that the 5/16 held better than the
4/16.  Is this misleading in some way?

Additionally, the plate clamp required 100 ft./lbs. of
torque.  A crobsy clip requires only 15 ft./lbs. of
torque.  No instructions, tools, or warnings were
given advising of the 100 ft./lbs. requirement.
Additionally a crescent wrench is the only tool used
in the field, and it cannot put 100 ft./lbs. or torque
on the plate clamp.

Is everything i'm saying correct?  what are other
liability areas, if any of Central, in this fact
pattern?  Further suggestions?

Best regards,

Lance Nguyen

Do You Yahoo!?