[TowerTalk] Anyone ever make large LOG antenna to cover10-30?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anyone ever make large LOG antenna to cover10-30?
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:52:35 -0400
At 02:52 PM 9/19/01 -0700, Paul McInnish - K4BET wrote:
>Gary... the array you are talking about was made by Hy-Gain... the boom was
>Rohn 45 (not 25) and the boom was longer than 64'... don't remember the
>exact dimensions.
>We used Hughey's to put our up...  the entire tower rotated for directivity.
>We (our units) used 'em in the same 'scenic' vacation spot you were in plus
>the Persian Gulf war.
>Had capabilities of running 10 kw on all frequencies... of course, I... uh
>we... never put the 'rig' on the ham bands... was not allowed in a battle

There is one of these, with the discone, at the FAA control center in
Leesburg, VA.  Huge, but I betcha that on any discrete frequency band a
typical amateur monobander 2-stack would have significantly greater
performance.  What they got was sdme gain over a very large frequency range.

As an aside, my best Vietnam War QSO was in 1967 when I was HL9TM.  An F-4
pilot heard my American voice while outbound from Hanoi after a brief,
unfriendly visit there, and called me to ask for a phone patch while he
headed back to his carrier!

73, Pete N4ZR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,