[TowerTalk] FW: Magnetic Declination

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Magnetic Declination
From: w4ze@arrl.net (Ted Huf W4ZE)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:52:41 -0400

In the process of putting up my new tower, it occurred to me that I did not
know where true north was.  With my trusty Boy Scout compass, I said well it
must be right over there.  As one can image, with all these computer
assisted radios and rotators, I had better get it right. Then I remembered
about magnetic declination.  As any school boy or girl knows, the magnetic
North Pole is not the same place as the true North Pole and your compass
heading must be corrected.  This may not seem like a big deal, but it is 8.5
deg error at my QTH in PA.  For Portland, OR it is almost 18 deg. and 16.5
in Portland, ME.  This web page calculates the magnetic declination for any
location and date.  I hope it is helpful for you who desire accurate beam
pointing.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/seg/gmag/fldsnth1.pl

73
Ted