[TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas
From: (
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:45:51 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/01 9:18:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

 Hi TT ers
 Back in the late 50's, my dad and I had a ground plane antenna on the
 roof of our house.  We used silicone in the coax connector to
 keep water MAY have been suggested in the instructions
 to do that.  Maybe a year later, the connector shorted out and
 blamed the trouble on lightning, etc.
 Sometime later, I installed commercial mobile radios for a living.
 It was common practice in the shop to apply silicone "grease" to the
 multi- pinned "Jones" plug pins because they were then easy to
 About 6 months later the customer would come back with a problem...
 blown fuse.  Troubleshot and found a DEAD SHORT in the "Jones"
 connector between battery and ground.  That happen on at least
 two occasions that I know of.....THEN, several years later, I installed
 a Bakelite connector on my truck and again used silicone...about
 6 months later a fuse blew.  Sure enough the connector shorted...
 a dead short.
 It was then that I realized that the silicone had to be chemically
 with the Bakelite to cause the short.
 Some insulating material may be immune to silicone, but IMHO don't
 use silicone IN a coax connector or any other connector, especially
 the mica-filled Bakelite type.
 Charlie, N0TT
 > Now I never ever found anything better than Silicone grease to stop
 > corrosion
 > between SS hardware like clamps, bolts and aluminum when properly
 > applied- -2
 > very very dissimilar metals.  Vaseline can be hosed off.  Silicone
 > grease
 > sticks so well that any surface even with the silicone grease wiped
 > off will
 > not hold paint.  K7gco
Charlie:  Interesting findings.  I will look into the various kinds of
Silicone grease.  I will run a test of Silicone grease in a PL-259/SO-239
connectors and give it the RF test with a linear.  I have ways of sealing
them from water getting in and have used Silicone grease on the threads for
years. k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,