> It was then that I realized that the silicone had to be chemically
> with the Bakelite to cause the short.
> Some insulating material may be immune to silicone, but IMHO don't
> use silicone IN a coax connector or any other connector, especially
> the mica-filled Bakelite type.
You don't make it clear, are you referring to silicone sealer
or the silicone grease, that looks like Vaseline grease (petroleum
I have been filling (to overflowing) all exterior connectors of
all types with the silicone grease (sold as thermal linking for
the mounting power transistors) the type without zinc oxide with
no detectable ill effects. (40 years) I reuse BNC + "N" and PL259
connectors many times.
(I never operate over 45 watts, for RF safety reasons)
I have hundreds of used phenolic insulated PL259's (heavily silver
plated brass amphenol or ITT etc. brands) and I only use (and re-use)
teflon insulated UHF connectors for VHF and UHF installations.
I never tape up connectors, never found any water in any connector,
just the grease I put there.
73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron email@example.com
Please visit my HAM web site at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm
List Sponsored by AN Wireless: AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!! http://www.anwireless.com
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com