[TowerTalk] Ideal 40m Wire Antenna

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ideal 40m Wire Antenna
From: (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:43:55 -0400
> Assume you have a guyed 80' mast (not a tower).
> What would be the best wire antenna you would put on it, for 40m Dxing

Hi Tim,

I'd use a dipole or an inverted V with the legs pulled out as flat as

Keep in mind 80 feet is a really good height for all around DX

If you use a loop, you lower the mean height of the array and raise
the wave angle. You will actually decrease the gain at useful angles!

If you use a vertical, you will do better in some direction and worse
than others compared to the dipole.

If you use a collinear, you will give up too many azimuth directions.

By far a dipole is the best all around DX solution, or better yet two
at right angles.
73, Tom W8JI

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,