[TowerTalk] U.S. Tower Raising Fixtures MAF-XXX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] U.S. Tower Raising Fixtures MAF-XXX
From: jbattin@starband.net (Jeff Battin)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:07:18 -0700
I like my raising fixture. I first had my doubts when my elbow ran out of
grease. Then my dad suggested using a professional drill with high torque
connected to the winch handle shaft. Now it is a breeze to work on the
antenna. The drill works great for titling the tower over. You must use a
high torque drill! I smoked my first Sears "best" model.

With the raising fixture almost all of the antenna work can be performed
when the tower is tilted over from a tall 10+ ft step ladder. I feel this is
better than climbing at 30 foot step ladder but not as much fun as climbing
a 120ft SSV. Please keep in mind that for me playing with different antenna
configurations is one of the best parts of the hobby. To tune my 40 meter
beam I made about 10 adjustments and I had to tilt over the tower for each
adjustment. But now I am very happy with the gain and FB.

Now for the rotor debate, my brand new 1000DX would not turn the tower
(MA850) effectively. I had to upgrade my rotor. My beam has a 8 sqft wind
load. It does take extra effort from the rotor to turn the whole tower. If
you think your rotor can be mast mounted and still handle your beam you can
save some big bucks.

Best Regards,
Ko7p