[TowerTalk] Remove enamel from CU wire

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Remove enamel from CU wire
From: Ron KA4INM Youvan" < (Ron KA4INM Youvan)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 11:05:49 -0400

> I managed to scrounge quite a bit of enamel coated copper wire for my radial
> system from a local motor rewinder.
> In days gone by I could buy small bottles of enamel remover but I do not
> recall what solvent it contained.
> What solvent can I use to remove the enamel?

  Unfortunately (or not) magnet wire has not been enameled for many years,
all gud wire is coated with a formaldehyde based resin.  I know of no
remover that will take it off quickly.

  Why remove it?  The wire will last longer with the coating and
the coating doesn't alter it's usefulness, not like 2 inches of dirt.
Scrape the coating off carefully where it will go under the
(adding a bit if anti-Ox compound might help in the long run)

         73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron
       Please visit my HAM web site at:

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,