[TowerTalk] Fall Protection Suggestion

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fall Protection Suggestion
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:20:02 -0400
At 09:09 AM 10/10/01 -0400, Bill Coleman wrote:
>On 10/9/01 7:48 PM, Dan Levin at wrote:
>>Most towers that I have seen and/or climbed have no
>>fall protection system installed.  The climber uses a
>>fall protection lanyard, either with a single clip or
>>a forked lanyard with two clips.  In either case, you
>>either have to climb unprotected (efficient, but very
>>dangerous), or clip and unclip every couple of steps
>>up and down the tower.  With a single lanyard, every
>>unclip to move your protection is risky.  With a
>>double lanyard you don't have the risk, but you still
>>have the hassle of moving your protection every
>>couple of steps.

I use a 6-foot fall-protection strap attached in the middle of the back and
my 3-foot positioning lanyard.  By reaching as high above me as I can
before clipping on, and then climbing till that one is at my feet before
clipping on the second one, I can reduce the number of changes to about 1
every 7-8 feet or so -- which I find an acceptable amount of overhead to
exchange for always being positively anchored to the tower (mine's 100 ft)

73, Pete N4ZR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,