[TowerTalk] Theory's great... but what about the 'How To'?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Theory's great... but what about the 'How To'?
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:02:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/12/01 10:49:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
blueis@sprintmail.com writes:

>  I am aware of the ARRLs antenna handbook.  But is there one which YOU find
>  quite good... one which has principles and explanations, projects to build
>  working models, etc.?  I would appreciate your recommendations.

K3GB,
The usual scenario is, one gets interested in ham radio and antennas, so the
exploration and learning process starts by getting the "bibles" like ARRL
Handbook and Antenna Book. There is enough info for understanding the
antennas and to get going. Then when one matures and becomes crazy DXer or
"worse," contester, search begins for the ultimate killer arrays and fine
tuning and squeezing every half dB out of the systems. This is when you start
buying all the books you can, building and experimenting with stuff to get
that edge over the competition. Some are happy with commercial stuff, just
put it up and enjoy. Some are not happy and want to push the envelope and
this is where brains and sweat come in.

I would start with ARRL Antenna Book, Antenna compendia, then the wealth of
information is in other books (textbooks, Moxon: HF Antennas for all
Locations, ...) and magazines going back some 70 years.

This is still one area that is not "done" - lot of room for experimentation
and inventing.

GL  Yuri, K3BU

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----