[TowerTalk] How to books

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to books
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:20:44 -0400
> In addition to the other books already mentioned, I also regularly use
> Kraus' (W8JK) "Antennas", Edmund A. Laport's "Radio Antenna
> Engineering" (1951, but occasionally available on eBay), and Capt Paul
> Lee's (N6PL) "Vertical Antennas", still in publication by CQ Press.
> Kraus and Laport are really text books, and are a bit heavy on the
> math for some, while Lee is a bit more pratically oriented.

Very good suggestions!!!

I suggested programs, because they are good ways to learn, but
another good book is Antennas and Transmissions Lines by John
Kuecken.

Kuecken taught EM and antenna system design. I was introduced
to the series of lectures that book is based on in the 60's. I talked
MFJ into reprinting the book in original unmodified form.

I'd avoid books without stringent technical editing, because so
much incorrect folklore exists with antennas (as we see from time
to time here). You'll learn all sorts of wrong things if you read books
that are not peer-reviewed, and then have to unlearn it later.

The ARRL Antenna Handbook is excellent, but I'd stay away from
the Compendiums if you are trying to learn how things really work.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----