[TowerTalk] NoAlox

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] NoAlox
From: n9rla@yahoo.com (Dan Evans)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:21:25 -0700
> 150W or more iron, make a solder pool there.  Then scratch the aluminum
> surface under the solder pool thoroughly.  Then join.  What's happening is
> this.  Aluminum oxide forms real fast after scrapping dry.  Scrapping
under
> the sodler pool keeps the air off the freshly scrapped surface which would
> oxidize almost immediately without the pool.
> > k7gco

I once saw an article that suggested using oil to keep the oxide from
re-forming long enough to make the solder joint.  Unfortunately, I can't
recall where I saw the article.  Probably in QST sometime in the last 15 to
20 years [guess that really narrows it down, hi hi].  I've never tried it.

I do remember seeing a vendor at a hamfest selling "welding" rods that would
allow you to weld aluminum with a propane torch.

73
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla