[TowerTalk] Stacking quandry

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking quandry
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:56:26 -0500
I have a C3XL (33' boom) at 80' on a 45G. It works like absolute gangbusters
by itself (have yet to call anybody more than twice to get a comeback, and
even twice is unusual), but naturally I'm greedy and want more, and would
especially like more Africa in the log. After hunting for weeks, I've about
given up finding another used one just like it to stack at 40' or so (F12
wants over $1300 + shipping to build me a new one - gulp). Have received
dire warnings from several folks about trying to stack my C3XL with a
dissimilar tribander below it (you'll never get the phase right, will never
work, bad idea, etc.) So I need to ask the audience, I guess: What's your
take on a new C3 or C3S or something instead of a C3XL at the 40' level,
using a Stackmatch and a swinging gate? Is this more hassle than it's worth?
Is it a phasing nightmare? I'm very reluctant to give up this great single
antenna just to have two alike on the tower.
73, Jerry W5KP

> With a 60 to 80 ft tower, I would go with two antennas,
> one at 40 ft, the other on top.  The bottom antenna could
> be a simple trap dipole or 2L tribander with a bigger antenna
> on top.  The top antenna WILL have nulls in the ranges
> supported by the ionosphere on 10 through 20M.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----