[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's
From: (Hisashi T Fujinaka)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
Nobody seems to mention filing/scoring the area you're soldering. I
wondered what the file on my Leatherman tool was for but it works great
for this.

As I recall, you don't want to file the silver plated connectors, only the
cheaper ones.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Eddy Avila wrote:

> Hi all,
> When I was a young ham in the 60's I never ever had any problems assembling
> PL259 connectors, particularly when it came to soldering them to the coax.
> I'm sure I never used anything hotter than a 100-watt gun!! I'd simply heat
> up the connector then apply some solder and voila! It was that easy.....
> But now, no matter what I buy, cheap or expensive silver-tinted PL259 and
> using a 250watt gun I'm finding it very difficult to get solder to "stick"
> to these crap connectors....getting really frustrated trying to get solder
> to adhere to PL259's now!!!
> Can someone recommend (without hesitation) a source of good-quality
> connectors that can take solder like they used to?
> thanks much!

Hisashi T Fujinaka -
BSEE (6/86) + BSChem (3/95) + BAEnglish (8/95) + $2.50 = mocha latte

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,