[TowerTalk] vertical antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] vertical antennas
From: richardw@mho.com (Rick Williams)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:44:21 -0600
I am in the process of erecting a Force 12 160VX (60ft tall 160 mtr
vertical.     The insturction manual addresses using 2 elevated radials
instead of more traditional ground radials.

After talking to a few other hams on the "pros and cons" along with their
experiences with each; I have come to the completely unscientific conclusion
to use ground radails.

Even in this area I have found some different ideas.  Mainly, their is one
train of thought  that ground radials need not be longer than the height of
the vertical radiator (in my case, 60 ft.).    The other train, always use
quarter wave radials (130 ft) regardless.

I wonder what the "thread" is on this.  In my situation, I can lay 130 ft
radials for 270 degrees.  In the other 90, radials are going to decrease in
length to about 60 ft for the shortest (perpendicular to the property line).
Is this going to noticable affect the performance.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Dick Williams  K8ZTT
Franktown CO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,