[TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] Homebrew Rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] Homebrew Rotators
From: ei8ic@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:17:11 -0000
Yes this is a good idea. Its not as if you need to know your position to the
nearest degree, considering the beamwidth. People used to make these with
clear film and a black pen, but a printer will give a much better result.
You could also put a number of rings on the film with different codes on
them so for instance you could directly adapt to a 7-segment display using
BCD etc.

Another direction indicator system is to use a cheap black and white camera
pointing at a strip of paper stuck round the rim of the rotator, and watch
the result on a monitor in the shack, but make sure the camera does not move
or you might get a view of the neighbour's bedroom.

Of course, if you really want to get basic, use a 10 turn pot and some
gears.

Tim www.qsl.net/ei8ic/