[TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:38:48 -0500
> Although don't have the 40 M version, I do have the 80 meter version
> using a Comtek box.  I see typically 20 dB front to back, 10 dB front
> to side, and gain over a simple dipole at 80 ft. about 1 S Unit or
> more.  I would imagine comparing to a single vertical should be even
> more of difference in gain.

What I find is when lower in frequency, verticals work much better
than models seem to predict. My 160-meter dipole at just over 300
feet just ties a 200-foot vertical in the best directions for the dipole,
and my 160-meter four square generally whips the daylights out of
the dipole.

On 80 meters, I've found the difference to be less.

On 40 meters, I've found a dipole at 60 or 80 feet is much better
than a vertical, at least broadside to the dipole.

I'm not sure what others have seen, but that is how they work here
when I use large ground systems under a vertical.

I would expect, based on what I see here, that on 40 meters a
good high dipole could actually be a bit better for gain than a four
square.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,