[TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:02:50 -0600
Hello Richard,

This has been a popular topic on TowerTalk.

There are several solutions to your dilema:

My (N4KG) 'lazy' solution is to tune all my antennas for CW
and use a tuner for SSB.

At our school club station, W8UM, we cut the 80M dipole
for CW but placed the insulator at the SSB length.  For CW,
we wrapped the wire around the rope. For SSB, we wrapped
the wire back over the dipole.  NO connector failures.
This does get old, but for contests is tolerable since
you are on one mode all weekend.

W6NL / W6QHS came up with a really clever matching
system that uses a combination of 50 and 75 ohm coax
that produces a double dip in the SWR for CW and SSB
DXing.  The SWR does rise fairly rapidly above 3.9 MHz
it so may not be ideal for SS.  (See copy below).

W8JI recommends a BOWTIE configuration for better
bandwidth.

brunet@us.ibm.com writes:

> Are their designs for 80m dipoles covering 3.5 through 4.0 preferably
without a
> trip to the antenna?  Sounds like the search for the holy grail.  Some
ideas:

I like this idea by W6NL.

http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9711/0701.html

Also see these:

http://www.cebik.com/wb.html

http://www.contesting.com/_towertalk/9711/0712.html

To those interested in wideband 80M dipoles:

W6NL (ex-W6QHS) had a great post just less than a year ago.
I've archived it and below is the "reprint".

This is __EXACTLY__ what you guys are looking for.

W4RNL (what a guy) also followed it up with an analysis here on
Towertalk.  He has an article on his (great) antenna site:
http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~cebik/wb.html

Chad    WE9V