[TowerTalk] Moving Resonance of Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Moving Resonance of Dipoles
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:16:00 -0500
For most of my ham career I thought that a dipole had to be symmetrical --
which will tell you how technically competent I am.  Then I read about the
good results that W2UP and others had adding length to just one side.  I
was curious about the quantitative side of this, so I modeled a
symmetrical, resonant dipole in free space at 3.5 MHz (actually 3520), then
removed  wire from one end to move the resonance all the way to 4.0 MHz.

feedpoint at 3.520 MHz -- 71.9 +j .1  (66.75 feet of wire either side of
center)
feedpoint at 4.0 MHz -- 72.8 +j 3.6 (51 feet on one side, 66.75 on the other)

QED

73, Pete N4ZR
www.qsl.net/n4zr

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,