[TowerTalk] 80m Yagi ssb/cw switching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Yagi ssb/cw switching
From: gdixon@fmtc.net (Gary Dixon)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:10:12 -0500
Hello TT Fans,

I have seen some really interesting discussions here over the last week or
so about SSB to CW switching or vise versa on 75/80 Meter Dipoles. All this
has been good information, because in general there is relatively easy
access to the ends of the dipole.

I have a Create 2 element Yagi at about 125 feet that can be tuned for
either the CW or SSB end, but the bandwith is really only good for about 100
KC. Currently the beam is tuned to the SSB portion of the band and is flat
at 3790 KC.

>From past experience I know not to operate the yagi on CW where the SWR is
about 10:1, because the balun will become a Silent Key. Hi Hi  It is a LOT
of work to replace it also.

This antenna is constructed like a ZL special. Split insulated elements,
where the front half of the driven element is connected to the opposite back
half of the reflector and vise versa.

Any words of wisdom out there how to get it to work on CW without killing
the balun ??

I don't think just putting a tuner in the line will do it. Might be wrong
though ??

Create makes one that will work both phone and CW, but it is about $1000.00
more and has a lot of relays and stuff on the antenna.

Currently when I operate 80 CW I transmit on one of several half wave
sloppers and often listen on the 75 Meter Yagi. The Yagi acts like a
rotatable beverage on the CW part of the band. Signals drop 30-40 DB from
the SSB to CW end. Often I can hear signals very well on the Yagi that I
cannot hear on the sloppers.

Would really like to be able to transmitt in the 3505 KC area of the band
also.

Any suggestions from the group.

Thanks,
  Gary, K4MQG