[TowerTalk] HF2V vertical Array... parasitic? or driven?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF2V vertical Array... parasitic? or driven?
From: dsthill@cbcbarbados.bb (Dean St. Hill)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:11:31 -0400
Dear T-Ters,

During the recent CQ WW Phone contest, we tried an interesting antenna array
at 8P4B for 80 and 40m. Essentially, two HF2V verticals were erected with
about a 33ft seperation roughly north-south.

The first unit was fed with RG8, the second was tuned to the same freq. as
the first, and a length of about 30ft of RG58 was connected at the
feedpoint. The first antenna was therefore driven, the second was hoped or
assumed to be a parasitic reflector based on the unterminated cable at its
feedpoint.

My question to the reflector is does this array make any sense to anyone and
is it a model that can be worked on and enhanced in any way?? Or should we
now explore simply feeding both antennas as described in the antenna book
with the appropiate 1/4 wave lines and 3/4 wave lines feeding to a coaxial
tee then to the transmitter??

Bottom line. What's the best way to use two HF2V antennas in such a way as
to maximise their utility on 80 and 40m?

Also... Has anyone built an 80m 4-square antenna using the HF2V - any
potential problems I should be looking for???

Thanks guys.

Dean St. Hill - 8P6SH
vision2000@sunbeach.net
dsthill@cbcbarbados.bb