[TowerTalk] N7VM Tower Project Report 11/26/2001

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] N7VM Tower Project Report 11/26/2001
From: n7vm@lgcy.com (Bill Ralston)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:01:48 -0700
Ready for excavation...as soon as the snow melts!

Friday rented a transit ($40/4 hours) and sited the 120 degree lines for the
guys and check elevation differences. This was the first time I've used a
transit, and it took a little while to figure out how to get it level. One
that was figured, I was pretty amazed - at 80 feet out accuracy of 1/2 inch
in vertical and horizontal was trivial to achieve - way better than needed
for this application!

Discovered that one guy anchor will be about 5 feet lower than the tower
base. The Rohn spec calls out 5% vertical and horizontal accuracy of the guy
anchor distance (80 feet) so I am a little out of spec. I decided to move
the guy anchor out about 5 feet which keeps the angle approximately the
same, so I believe I should be OK (any comments?)

Unfortunately, it started to snow Saturday...and some more Sunday...and more
today.  I'm  wishing I had staked the corners rather than just painted the
hole locations with marking paint. But, I doubt anyone is going to be too
quick to bring out their backhoe into a foot of snow! So, as soon as the
snow melts and it drys out excavation will continue.

At least the Olympics organizers are breathing a sight of relief - 5+ feet
of snow at some of the ski venues in the SLC area...

73

Bill N7VM
n7vm@lgcy.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,