[TowerTalk] Source for Lat and Long coordinates?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Source for Lat and Long coordinates?
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 17:47:53 -0800
On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 06:10:30PM +0000, Eddy Avila wrote:

> Howdy....since I don't own a GPS, using just my street address is there an
> Internet site that can provide me with a fairly accurate latitude and
> longitude in degrees, minutes and seconds coordinates of my QTH? I know
> QRZ.COM has them listed, but I would like to confirm what they say, since
> originally they had my County incorrect!

I found the coordinates from the buck.com callsign lookup to be much
closer than those at qrz.com.  I went into qrz.com and edited the
coordinates.

However, after configuring Xastir to use tiger and terraserver maps, I
set it up to download a terraserver map and zoomed in until I could
actually see my house with quite a bit of detail.  I then set the
cursor over the location of the antenna and now use those coordinates.
There was a difference of ~100 feet.  Findu shows me several hundred
feet away, in the water, actually!

I bought one of the $50 refurbished Tripmates and will hook it up soon
and cross check the numbers.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net