[TowerTalk] W4ZW Antenna Project

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] W4ZW Antenna Project
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:54:34 -0500

Posted this a couple of days ago  and discovered that I was not
receiving Towertalk.  Did the @Home fiasco result in all of us being
kicked off the subscription list?

Jon, W4ZW

After losing my tower and all the beams, etc in the "Tropical Storm"
Gabriella last month, I have begun redoing the antenna setup.
Originally, I had a Glen Martin 9' rooftop tower on the 4th floor deck
of my oceanfront house.  On the tower was a CC 402CD and either a TH-7DX
or a CC A4S turned by a T2X.  Mean elevation of the antennas above sea
level was about 91'.  Also had a DX-77 vertical on a mast nearby and
during some contests an 80M Bobtail.  All the antennas played quite well
with this ocean location with saltwater takeoffs in most directions
except the NNW.  I'm at the southern tip of island which runs NNW from
the QTH.

Finally got the aluminum cleaned up and  have the tower repaired and
back up.  Now, I have another idea.  I have relocated my tower and now
have about 35' separation from the mast I used for the DX-77 vertical.

Thought occurred that I could install an A4S on the mast with a base
mounted rotor (have a spare HAM V) and have a second rotary tribander at
about 70' above seal level.  Now, how would a "horizontal" stack work?
They line up perfectly for a side by side shot into Europe.  Anyone have
any experience with this animal?  I could separate the tribanders
vertically by 0-20' and they are about 35 feet apart.

Worse case will be that I'll have the TH-7DX  on the tower and a CC A4S
for a second rotary beam.  I could also use two A4S's since I have an
extra A4S.

Also figured out a way to permanently install a 80M half square.  Now to
get that beverage running along the beach . . .

Any thoughts?  Suggestions welcome.  This project is getting
interesting.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----