[TowerTalk] Color code coax lines?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Color code coax lines?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:46:01 EST
In a message dated 12/13/01 8:09:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, n8wrl@att.net
writes:

> A while back I seem to recall a post somewhere about color coding coax and
>  that got me to thinking about a color system assigning colors to bands,
>  possibly following the resistor color code sequence or somethign similar. I
>  could use colored tape or velcro to mark coax to indicate the bands they
>  carry, mobile coils and stingers, etc. Seems like it would be a convenient
>  way to look at a cable and know what signals it carries.
>
>  Has anyone heard of anything like this? Is there already a 'standard' out
>  there? I've been looking around at colored electrical tape and can't find
>  more than half a dozen colors, but maybe stickers in an office supply store
>  might provide more.

    When doing antenna/cable installs, sometimes you've got multiple cables;
sometimes 4-6 or more. What I do is to use colored electrical tape. You can
get 4 or 5 different colors at most hardware stores in the electrical
department. You just need to write down the color codes somewhere.

    Even if you only have two colors (i.e. red and white), you can use:
red
white
red-white
red-red
white-white
red-red-red
red-red-white
red-white-white
etc.

    If in doubt for antennas, you can always plug your antenna analyzer into
it if you're not sure.

    Don't use black on coax!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC