[TowerTalk] CopperWeld working

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CopperWeld working
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:38:06 -0800
At 01:51 AM 2001-12-19 +0000, n0tt1@juno.com wrote:

>Hi George,
>
> > How do you straighten the wire?
>
>By straighten, I assume that you mean taking out the curl.
>I don't try to take the curl out.

I tend to concur with this.  What is the curl?   If you wind a rope or the
garden hose up into  a large circular form what are you doing?  Then when
you unwind it what are you doing?

For the garden hose, if you wind it it up by holding the end in your left
hand then pulling a long length with your right hand and placing the end
into your left hand.  Your are putting a half twist into the hose.  Most
people just pull the hose out straight, they donot undo it the same way as
they did it up.  So the half twist per loop stays in the hose.  The so
called kink comes forth and the hose is damaged by the tug to straighten it
out.

When unwinding the wire, to me, the best is to place the coil vertical to
the ground roll it out like unwinding a wheel.  If you lay the coil
horizontilly the pull the wire off the coil you will not undo the twist.

I hope that I have described this phenomenea properly.  Just take a rope
and coil and uncoil the different ways and maybe you will see the differece

Old electricians when coiling up an extension cord join the ends together,
then coil into the left hand.  This makes a mathmatical Moibus strip, no
kinky!

Chris opr VE7HCB

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----