[TowerTalk] Decoding BCD with passive circuit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Decoding BCD with passive circuit
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:42:47 -0500
At 12:37 PM 12/23/01 -0600, Dale L Martin wrote:

>try http://www.sandlabs.com/answers.htm
>(verified as good before transmission of this note.)

Yes, but there was a reason I specified passive decoding -- I don't want to
have to power an IC or individual gates at the tower, nor do I want to have
to protect them against static electricity/lightning EMP.

The only solution that fills the bill so far is the cascaded relay approach
described by W8JI.  It is similar in concept to the RCS-4/Heathkit
cableless antenna switch, but uses an SPDT, a DPDT, and a 4PDT to yield 8
separate outputs from one input, controlled by 3 wires plus ground return
via the coax shield.

73, Pete N4ZR

The revised World Contest
Station Database
is online at www.pvrc.org

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----