[TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower
From: (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:33:15 -0500
On 1/1/02 6:48 PM, Stephanie WX3K at wrote:

> [...]

I assume your tower is set in flat ground. Thus, the tower, the antenna
wire, and the ground make a large triangle. Since the angles of a
triangle must sum up to 180 degrees, we have a 90 degree angle at the
tower, 45 from the tower to the sloper, which leaves 45 degrees from the
sloper to the ground. Such a triangle must have equal sides, which are
declared as 50 feet. The sloper, therefore, must be have a length of one
side times root 2. This is roughly 1.4.

1.4 * 50 = 90 feet. (oops -- did the math wrong the first time)

1.4 * 50 = 70 feet. (Yup, that's right)

>>Anyone ever try this ??? The
>>match I have is still unacceptable...2.5 to 1.....Any suggestions ?
>What band? 40m? 80m? 160m? It seems too long for either 40m or 80m, and
>too short for 160m.

Ah, that may be a problem. You probably don't have enough tower to
properly act as the other half of the sloper.

I'd suggest an Inverted L instead.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901