[TowerTalk] half slopers

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] half slopers
From: (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:17:25 -0500
On 1/3/02 1:48 PM, Rick Dougherty at wrote:

>Have been using at NQ4I M-M 1/4 slopers fed against the tower for 15 years
>with lots of success on 160m and no radials...guess the antenna is too dumb
>enough to know the Rick nq4i

That tower is, what? 100 feet tall? And bristles with antennas, with a
20m monobander on a TIC ring, and something else on top - 40m?. That's a
big difference when trying to add a 1/4 wave sloper for 160m to a 65 foot
tower with a single tribander on top.

I can testify that Rick's slopers work. One night I was calling CQ on
160m during the CQWW SSB, and had a stateside station call in to ask
about the antenna. I kept switching between the slopers every other CQ,
and he noted more than 20 dB difference in signal strength when I

The thing about 1/4 wave slopers is they depend very much on the
configuration of the tower. My 49.6 foot tower with an A3S loaded up very
nicely with a 40m 1/4 wave sloper at 40 feet. I don't think it would work
as easily for 80m, certainly not for 160m.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901