[TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Half slopers using a tower
From: (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 22:58:49 -0500
> Whether or not the unused slopers act as a counterpoise or not depends
> on the switching arrangement. If they are 'floating free', then you
> are right; however, if the unused slopers are electrically grounded to
> the tower at their 'feedpoints', then they DO act as 'counterpoises'
> [in reality, they are part of the 'tower side' of the sloper system].

Actually it is very difficult to not couple the unused slopers to the
tower, because they are very close to the tower.

I certain agree they they MIGHT not have been coupled at all, but
the likelihood they are totally isolated is nearly zero.

> I used a 'sloper' system like this before they were called 'slopers'
> .. used the guywires for my tower, insulated at top and bottom, as a
> 4-wire array, with remote relay selection of any one or two of them as
> radiators. Using one gave me a 'sloper' system, with the other three
> 'grounded' to the tower, and using two of them gave me an 'inverted-V'
> configuration.

That's how I would do it.  I sure wouldn't leave the unused wires
floating for lightning and other reasons!

I actually was planning a system like that for 160, but the gain
figures in modelling made me abandon the idea.
73, Tom W8JI