[TowerTalk] SLOPERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SLOPERS
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 01:17:51 -0800
This brings up a good question. I have access to a Rohn 25 tower
that is 60 feet tall. The base of the tower is located on top of a building
at ~40'. Fifteen feet of the tower is bolted to the side of a doghouse
structure that sits on the roof of the building (houses elevator motors,
air conditioners, etc). The tower is topped with a KLM 4 element
40 (102') and a KT34XA (114'). The parasitics elements of both
antennas are shorted to their respective booms with short #14
solid copper wire jumpers just in case they are needed as top

I would like to do something with the tower for 160 meters.
As I see it, there are two options (already have a dipole on
another tower) - #1 shunt feed the tower as an elevated
ground plane 45' below the KLM 40M4 (this is at the
rooftop level of the doghouse where the coax and rotor cables
break away from the tower and head over toward the shack).
#2 install a 1/4 sloper underneath the KLM 40M4. Any
thoughts from the group as to which is the preferred option
(right now I am leaning towards the shunt feed)? I would
use elevated radials (4 at 65') for the shunt feed arrangement.

Thanks!