[TowerTalk] Using guy wire to carry in coax lines?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using guy wire to carry in coax lines?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:32:27 EST
res0958z@verizon.net writes:

>     I was looking at the January 2001 issue of CQ magazine and an article by
>  K7PF. The article was about antennas, but the statement I found interesting
>  was regarding his use of one of his lowest tower guy wires as a 'messenger'
>  cable -- using the guy wire to carry the transmission coax lines and rotor
>  cables to the house.
>
>      I'm interested in this because the gradual angle is appropriate for
>  dressing the coax lines away from the tower (ie, no 90 deg bends in the
>  coax) AND because I have a guy wire that goes over the house at precisely
>  the right point to take the lines down to the bulkhead panel box.
>
>      I'd like comments on whether this is a good idea to utilize or what the
>  pros/cons of this are. I only have 4 lines of coax coming down the tower
and
>  the single rotor control cable so it wouldn't be all that heavy a bundle my
>  lowest tower guy is at 25 feet and the guy post is not a long run away.
>  Comments?

    Well, sounds feasible but in the several hundred towers I've climbed on
I've never seen cables come down a tower on anything but the tower face or
legs.

    The big problem I see is that there is a bunch of cable that would be out
of reach. You have to install the cables in the first place which means you
have to drop the guy or something else ill advised in order to attach the
cables. If the guys are within reach, then I don't have a problem with doing
it. Be careful, okay?

    Andrew (the Heliax) folks spec for hanging cable is to have it anchored
every six feet. I don't know how you'd meet that on a guy wire suspended up
in the air.

    The only advantage for your particular installation is that you can drop
the cables  into the shack from the guy.    That doesn't sound unreasonable
so feel free to go nuts. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech