[TowerTalk] Alum Masts

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Alum Masts
From: (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:02:40 -0500
On 1/10/02 1:03 PM, Thomas Beltran at wrote:

>This discussion of Masts is quite timely for me.  I was planning on using
>schedule 80 Aluminum pipe for a TH-3MKIII and perhaps a rotatable dipole for
>17.  Should I consider one of HRO's steel masts?

What you left out is how high above the tower top you planned to have the
antenna(s). That makes all the difference.

In general, I'd avoid the use of "pipe" of any kind for a structural
component, but if the antenna is right at the top of the tower, the
bending moments are small enough that even "pipe" would work.

I've got an A3S mounted 6 feet above the top of the tower on a 2" Al tube
with a 3/32" wall. Plenty strong enough.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901