[TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are higher HF antenna's really better?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:56:52 -0600
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com> writes:

> LPL told me one time that his best antenna is a large 10 M Yagi
> at 200'. He theorizes that when you get an antenna that high, in
> terms of wavelength, the nulls fill in and become almost
> non-existent.
>
> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> Yuma, AZ
> K6LL@juno.com

That seems quite plausible since the lobes and nulls become
VERY  NARROW  at 6 WL high :-)

First Lobe 1 to 3 degrees
Second      6 to 8
Third        11 to 13
Fourth      16 to 18
Fifth         21 to 23

A small ground slope of 2 degrees or less could easily
cause one or more nulls to fill in.

Tom  N4KG