[TowerTalk] Re: Aluminum Masts

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Aluminum Masts
From: (
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:04:48 EST
Hello All:
Aluminum is a appropriate material to use for many purposes, including masts,
towers, airplanes. The suitability for a given purpose is controlled by the
DESIGN, not the material.
I have just completed the installation of a Heights aluminum self-supporting
tower that includes a jackscrew operated, motor driven fold-over mechanism at
the base. The entire structure has been fully structurally analyzed by a PE
and by myself for safety, and according to the Universal Building Code (UBC).
I have a city permit in hand for its construction. For the record, it is a 77
ft tower (72 + 5 ft base), and will support 35 sq ft projected area in my 70
mph wind zone. All of the standard Heights towers have a PE analysis
performed according to the UBC to back them up.
Bob  W5LT