[TowerTalk] non-conductive lightweight mast

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] non-conductive lightweight mast
From: (Phil Duff)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:57:54 +0000
At 12:59 1/11/2002 -0500, N4ZR wrote:

>I'm looking for material for a 25-foot-tall non-conductive mast to use with
>a K9AY loop.  PVC, even sched 40 and 80, has not proved stiff enough.
>Fiberglass should work but the pricing I've seen for pre-packaged kits
>seems out of line.  anyone got a line on a source for telescoping siuzes of
>fiberglass tubing and rod, such that I could splice 4 6-foot pieces of
>tubing together?

Consider material(s) other than fiberglass or PVC.   I'm using wooden closet
rod.   Home Depot here stocks it in two different diameters - 1 1/4" & 1
1/2" I think
in lengths up to about 16 ft.  I got a 16 ft'er and another shorter length
and spliced
them together with a short piece of split PVC pipe.   Put on a couple of
coats of
marine spar varnish for weather protection and attached it to a metal "U"
fence post with a couple
of small bolts.  One bolt acts as a pivot to tilt the pole up/down when
erecting the mast.
Attached the loops at the top to function as guys.  Works fine.

73 Phil NA4M

....- --
Phil Duff NA4M   Georgetown, Texas

Order online at