[TowerTalk] Engineering/Permit Help; Tower in remote location

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Engineering/Permit Help; Tower in remote location
From: w1uk@earthlink.net (W1UK)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:25:38 -0500
The very first thing you should do is get a copy the book by K1VR  "Antenna
Zoning for the Radio Amateur" from the ARRL.  It covers in great detail all
the questions you have raised and provides specific methods for dealing with
the permit process.  For $50 you get the benefit of the experience of a top
communications law attorney who has successfully navigated the permit
process dozens of times for hams.

The town assessors office should have on file a plot plan for your property.
They will make a copy for you but you will likely have to go there in
person.  While you are there stop by the Zoning department and buy a copy of
your town/county zoning bylaws, usually about $15.  Without it you have no
idea what process you will need to follow and what the specific regulations
are that apply to amateur antenna support structures.  Just some of the
things you need to know: Height limit for structures, do telecommunications
structures have there own specific regulations (most likely they do)?, do
amateur structures fall under those regulations?,  will you need a special
permit, special exception, Conditional-Use permit or variance etc.

Jim W1UK