[TowerTalk] should you WAX your antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] should you WAX your antenna
From: wa2moe@firstinter.net (Stu Greene)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:54:07 -0700
At 01:22 PM 1/14/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Read where during WWII and later they would apply liberal coats of wax to
>fighter planes to give them just that bit extra speed.
>
>Would waxing our yagis give them less windload?

I flew bombers, and before a new one was assigned to combat duty, the
factory paint job was sanded off.  That paint weighed enough to cost
fifteen knots of airspeed, and had anyone tried to wax any plane I flew I'd
make him go along on a combat mission.  Weight  controlled speed.

As far as antennas are concerned,  I doubt that wind loading would be
affected by waxing them but it would make them shiny and
reflective.  :-))))  Search the archives for the thread on element
polishing started by K2JAS.
.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----