[TowerTalk] Rotator Capacitor

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator Capacitor
From: (Bill Jackson)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 07:19:09 -0600
Hi Dan,

I've done the same thing in the past using caps out of the junk box.  It worked
o.k., but I used 250 uF caps in series to yield a total capacitance of 125 uF.
However, the cost of a new AC capacitor is relatively cheap, about $5 from
Norm's rotor service.  I'd go ahead and get the correct capacitor to just keep
the box "unmodified" if nothing else.

73 de Bill

dan hearn wrote:
> I recently acquired a CD 44 rotator and control box which was not
> working. After checking it out, I determined that the motor
> capacitor(120-140 mfd @ 50 VAC) was shot. I had a couple of small Nippon
> Chemi Con filter caps on hand. They are 85 C 100mfd, 200vdc rated. I
> connected these in series, minus to minus and wired them in place of the
> bad cap. The motor seems to run fine now. Is this setup a reliable
> replacement for the original? Should I have used a pair of 250 mfd caps?
> 73, Dan, N5AR

Order online at