[TowerTalk] Fw: EU antennas

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: EU antennas
From: (Dale L Martin)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:45:52 -0600
> >I have never understood how so many 100W Europeans can be
> 40 to 60 dB below guys with 100W and tribanders.  I can only
> envision paths obscured by mountains or antennas nearly on the
> ground.  The QRP'ers with decent antennas blow right through
> the 100W guys with lousy antennas / locations.<
> Hi Tom : Your observations are correct but you would need to
> take a trip to Eu and take a look at the handicaps some of those
> guys have to endure to fully understand the situation.

I did a 500 mile bicycle tour of southern England some years back.  We were
on the C and below roads (very narrow, high hedgerows) most of the time--it
was great....we went through a thousand small villages.  The only shorwave
antennas I saw were those on the Admiralty building in London.  I never saw
so much as a ground mounted vertical sticking up out of someone's garden or
even wires.  It was depressing.  Thank goodness for the pubs....

dale, kg5u

Order online at