[TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Universal Freestanding Tower
From: (Chris BONDE)
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:21:24 -0800
Out of what metal were the bolts made?  Do we have a metals man around that
can comment on this?  I always thought that Al and Zinc would sacrifice
themselves to protect the steel.  Os there a different circuit set up when
the RF is in the tower?

Just some questions?

Chris opr VE7HCB

At 02:58 PM 2002-02-06 -0600, Bill Steffey wrote:

>Five months ago I took down a 40 foot heights tower. It had been up since
>the 60s. Larry went SK qrt.  We lowered the kt34 and the 2 meter beams,
>then we just tilted it over !!!   The Big Aluminum ADVANTAGE!
>While taking out the bolts, they twisted apart. We discovered they were
>rotten in the middle, disintegrated !   I mention this again after just
>seeing a similar post.
>So when I got home I checked the bolts in my 50 ft Universal Tower......
>Rotten in the middle also. After 20 years or so, the bolts had rotted just
>like Larry's had.    Hidden within the tubular section, the rain and crud
>did it.
>I write this to remind YOU. Check your old hardware.

Order online at