[TowerTalk] Beverage Termination

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beverage Termination
From: Brad Rehm" < (Brad Rehm)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:29:23 -0600

"Has anyone got any views on the suitability or not of using metal film
resistors to Terminate Beverages."

I wouldn't use metal film resistors for all the reasons which have been
given.  Carbon resistors are getting hard to find, and although I've got a
small collection, I looked for something better.  Found the non-inductive
chip resistors that are available in a TO-220 transistor package.  They're
rated at fairly high instantaneous currents, and they can dissipate up to 35
Watts when properly heat-sinked.  Dielectric strength is 1800 Volts, and
their maximum operating voltage is 350 Volts.  Cost in the U.S. is about
$3.00.  Noise on the beverages is as low as ever, and I've had no resistor
failures in 3 years of service.

These are made by Ohmite (the TCH35P series), and I've bought them through
Mouser Electronics.

Brad, KV5V

Order online at