[TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belt Recommendations
From: (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:28:19 -0500
On 2/9/02 7:50 PM, EUGENE  SMAR at wrote:

>     I've often wondered about the wisdom of having your safety harness AND
>climbing/positioning belt all in one apparatus.  If the harness fails, BOTH
>your safety lanyard and the positioning strap will let loose and down you

That depends on what you mean by "fails".

Thinking about it, I can't see how the breakage of a single strap could
lead to a catastrophic failure of the entire harness.

>     I have a separate belt and strap (by Buckingham) and climbing harness
>(Petzl) that I don separately .  I feel that if either one of these systems
>fails, I ought to have the other as a failsafe (assuming I'm tied in to the
>tower with both at the time.)

Doesn't that require you to have 4 lanyards to climb? One for each
harness -- plus one for each harness as you move the other lanyard. Or do
you get buy with three?

>    Of course, what is the likelihood that the entire harness will fail
>catastrophically (you do inspect your safety equipment before each climb,
>don't you?)

>  Maybe modern harnesses are bulletproof (figuratively speaking)
>in their design and manufacture.  So maybe my concern is overkill.  Any

The lanyards are more likely to wear out before the harness.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Order online at