[TowerTalk] Broken Elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broken Elements
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 05:12:00 -0800 (PST)
They sure do! My first yagi was a home made 3 EL 20M
on a 20 ft boom.  All this was constructed before we
knew anything about taper schedules, wind loading,
etc. As I recall, it used only three sizes of aluminum
tubing (1.125, 1.00, and .875 inch, all .058 wall).
That thing used to literally eat element tips!  Must
have replaced 3 - 4 a year.  I didn't have rope in the
elements either as no one had filled me in on that
trick. Got tired of fixing it (at the top of the
tower) so I took it down and sold it. Have had a TH6
up since 1978 and haven't lost an element yet. We used
to occasionally lose element tips on the Hygain
10/15/20 monobanders at W3GM also.

73, Stew K3ND