[TowerTalk] Antennas down - Insurance quote

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas down - Insurance quote
From: (
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:16:30 EST
In a message dated 2/11/02 1:31:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

> We here in SW MN had freezing rain and high winds SAT night & SUN morning.
>  My HyGain 205CA, 155CA and 105CA are history. Broken elements on all of
>  and broken boom on 205. 155 & 105 booms are severly bent. Guess I'll be in
>  the market for some new antennas after I find a new job. Only surviving
>  is Tennadyne T6.

    First, BE VERY CAREFUL removing those broken antennas. If it was me, I'd
get a crane and man-basket to do it. Dealing with out-of-balance antennas on
a tower is DANGEROUS.

    Next, be sure to file a claim for the repair - it's covered by your
homeowner's insurance.

    The insurance company wants to see a quote from a tower professional but
they've never seen a claim for this kind of thing before so you've got to put
it together for them. A quote should contain costs for:
*  Hardware removal and salvage
*  Replacement hardware (don't forget cables, mast and rotator if they're
damaged too)
*  Total tower inspection
*  Assembly of antennas
*  Installation of everything

    This stuff adds up so don't be surprised at the cost.

    Your insurance company expects the work to be done professionally but
what you do with the money is up to you.

    The insurance company wants to close your claim as soon as possible so
they won't spend a lot of time nit picking your claim. Just make sure
everything is covered.

    I do insurance estimates all the time - they run $150 if I don't do the
work. It's free if I do the work. I've worked on over 160 amateur stations so
I can do a quote without actually being on-site but emailed photos are

Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech
Cell: 206-809-4188

Order online at