[TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF6V - any help for 80
From: (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:10:52 -0600

I have an HF6V, which I realize, despite all Butternut's protestations to
the contrary, is really just a base-loaded vertical on 80. It's

It SUCKS on 80! And I have a not bad ground system under it. I know that
improving the ground system will help somewhat, but I'm afraid the
difference won't be enough. It will elevate it from being a ABSOLUTELY AWFUL
80 meter antenna to being merely a NOT QUITE ABSOLUTELY AWFUL 80 meter
antenna. Either way, it's still awful. (Sorry for all these technical

(How bad is it? Let's just say that I have trouble being heard by W0AIH.)

Has anyone compared a ground-mounted HF6V to one that is elevated with
elevated radials?

Or does anyone have any other ideas, short of discounting the HF6V as an
80-meter antenna altogether and buying a W1XT?

Order online at