[TowerTalk] HyGain TH3 Modifications?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain TH3 Modifications?
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:35:56 -0600
Funny you should ask.  I just answered a similar
question off-reflector.

I have a 35 year old TH3 which worked / played  very well
on CW when tuned for CW but seemed 'lacking' on SSB.
When I tuned it for SSB, it seemed to work / play well on SSB
but not on CW.

I then tuned the Reflector to the CW dimensions,
the Director to the SSB dimensions, and the DE
1/3 of the way up from the CW dimensions. I have
used those dimensions for 30 years or so.

That said, I *sometimes* find my TH7 at the same height
to be 3 to 6 dB better on some bands (I forgot which).
I don't know whether to blame that difference on the tuning,
the 35 year old RG213, or the terrain (flat in front of the TH3,
gently sloping in front of the TH7).  When it comes down,
I believe I will retune all elements for CW, especially since
I learned that the standard dimensions for the TH7 yield
3 db less gain on CW than at 29.7 MHz.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.