[TowerTalk] aluminum tower disassembly?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum tower disassembly?
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:19:52 -0800
Sorry to expound here, BUT.
Are we all going to enter the age of INSTANT gratification?
Story:
My father was trained as a blacksmith-ferrier in the Scandinavian tradition.
He said that when separating things that are put together, sometimes time
is required.  He would rap the outside of the two pieces with hammers, put
tension on two separate pieces (just enough but would leave it), at time he
would use the various compounds to help release the rusted together
components.  (here the oxidized Al).  He said remember that the coal donkey
doesnot jerk to clean but just leans into the harness, with the help of the
track jack, the coal railcar would move.  It just took a little time.

So your use of the car jack was correct but I would bet that if yu applied
a little compund and just stressed the oxidized joint over some time you
would have had a proper separation.

Just my humble opinion

Chris opr VE7HCB

Order online at http://store.eham.net.