[TowerTalk] Suboptimum grounding/lightning

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Suboptimum grounding/lightning
From: (Todd Nichols)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:15:44 -0500

Sounds like a nice setup.  Yep, several spaced parallel conductors
will approximate the inductance of a strap; they let the current
density approximate the distribution that it would have in a strap,
and thus the inductance.  I just wish I were closer to ground.  I've
noticed that (in this area, at least) ranch houses are an endangered
species.  Not many are being built; land is so expensive that the lots
are so small that one must get a two or more storey house to have a
decent amount of square footage.  Very irritating.  I would much rather
have a first-floor shack; then I would feel better.  As it is, I think
I will try to go with the conductive-panel-in-window, and possibly run
multiple conductors to ground.  Even with this height, I want to ground
the antennas for a couple of reasons:

* NEC (to silence non-technical naysayers),
* shunt static charges to ground through a resistor,
* get at least *SOME* grounding (better than air).

Todd AG4AY