[Towertalk] Radial "fan out" summary

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Radial "fan out" summary
From: (Pat Rundall)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to those of you who responded with information
on radial "fan out". Here's what I learned:

- apparently, this had been discussed before on tower
talk using the term "forking" (which makes as much
sense as 'fan out' I suppose):

- the group never did reach consensus as to whether
forking aka fanning out radials made sense. A few
practicality. Further study/modeling is warranted. In
the earlier thread, the proposal was to "fork" about
halfway out (at .125 wl) - I was hoping to fan-out as
soon as the radial hit the ground.

- One thought was that because the highest current was
near the antenna, the most radials should be there -so
fan-out would be ineffective because of the reduced
number of radials at the mast. Again, IMO modeling and
field tests are needed to bear this out.

- A few commented that the fan-out idea probably
wouldn't work (gut feelings, etc.) but hadn't tried

- Another tip was to keep the slope of the radials as
close to horizontal as possible.

Once again, thanks for the great info this board

Pat, N0HR

Check out MobileLog, the Ham Radio logging package
for PocketPC users!

Do You Yahoo!?